Evolutionary Astrology, or Astrology of the Evolution of Consciousness, is a spiritual approach to the practice of astrology and birth chart analysis. It is founded on the intention to identify the soul’s evolutionary journey through the natal astrology chart.
The universe is understood to be an intelligent design with divine order and purpose. Astrology reflects these universal truths and planetary cycles describe where we are at in our evolutionary journey. Our work as astrologers is to interpret these cycles and help people realign with their soul purposes and intentions.
Astrology has been practiced since the dawn of time through all cultures of the world from the time humans realized that the cycles of the Sun and Moon defined our rhythm and seasons. We are all synchronized with this cosmic clock, with each planet serving as a hand of the clock.
While there are many uses to astrology, Evolutionary Astrology particularly focuses on our soul journey and the evolution of consciousness. Once we understand this broader spiritual perspective on our life, we can address every practical issue or question, whether that relates to resources, relationships, health, or vocation.
Understanding our soul’s evolutionary intention helps us make better choices and lead better, healthier, more meaningful lives. A reading from an evolutionary perspective can provide better clarity and direction in every aspect of our lives.
Some of the core principles include:
- We are all born to evolve our consciousness, to grow towards a greater understanding of the divine Truth. The more we know the Truth, the freer we are from falsehood, failure, and suffering.
- Nothing happens randomly in life; whether through successes or adversity, there is a higher reason for what occurs in our lives. Every life experience is a lesson that brings us closer to the higher Truth. Evolutionary Astrology helps identify these evolutionary reasons and lessons.
- The process of evolution extends through numerous lifetimes. Most of us had past lives which impact the circumstances of the current incarnation. We can identify the themes of these past lives in the natal chart, and in such a way, have a broader perspective on why things unfold a certain way in our present time. We usually do not remember our past lives, but nonetheless, these memories are stored in our unconscious and condition the unfolding of our life. The chart helps us see what we bring from past lives, the gifts, accomplishments, traumas, or mindsets. Current life circumstances can be a direct result of these past life experiences.
- When we look at a person’s astrology chart, we not only identify patterns or behaviors, but trace the reasons, the WHY, things occur in a certain way, sometimes to even understand why a person was born in particular family dynamic or why they faced difficult challenges early on. When we better understand why, we have better chances to make positive changes and overcome negative outcomes in the future.
- We are fated to our chart and cannot change it, but we have the free will to make a better use of our chart and access a greater potential within it. People born at the same time and place, sharing the same chart, may end up leading different lives – while they may face similar challenges, they have the free-will to respond differently to these challenges.
- When analyzing charts from the perspective of the Evolution of Consciousness, there is no good or bad planetary placement. No chart is doomed to suffering or guaranteed success—everything is part of the natural order of life and has its purpose. We all have lessons to learn and evolutionary challenges. Those who learn their lessons and evolve their consciousness have greater chances to experience longer term wellness, and the other way around.
- Planetary cycles represent a particular influence, or a developmental climate. What we do under these planetary influences is our responsibility. Our successes and failures are ours to own, not the planets’ favors or curses.
A reading from the perspective of the Evolution of Consciousness can bring light on all domains of our lives, from the more existential to the most practical concerns – We can address questions about:
- The purpose of this life.
- The reason for life to unfold a certain way.
- The lessons to learn in order to overcome obstacles.
- Relationship potential and dynamics – compatibility with romantic or business partners. The evolutionary reasons we meet our partner.
- Vocational potential and direction.
- Family and parenting: understanding and guiding our children, care-taking for our parents.
- Mental and physical well-being – health sensitivities and preventive approaches.
- Looking ahead: how to make the best use of the cycles to come. An overview of the months and couple of years to come.
- Timing for important events: signing contracts, weddings, moves, medical procedures, or any important process.
Evolutionary Astrology was inspired by the work of astrologer Dane Rudhyar, and in the early eighties, was established by astrologers Jeffrey Green and Steven Forrest. Astrologer Ray Merriman first coined the term in his book by the same name, but eventually pursued a career as a financial astrologer. Evolutionary Astrology is now practiced widely in the world; however, different schools of practice have evolved in the course of time—while the same philosophy and spiritual perspective are shared by all practitioners, methods of interpretation vary from practitioner to practitioner.
You are who you are for good reasons, here on this planet to learn and contribute. Your chart tells the Truth about your soul journey through time and space. Learning about it can in itself change your life forever, for the better.